Skip to main content

Playing The Hand You Are Dealt.


“Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well”. This is a quote by Robert Louis Stevenson, author of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, Treasure Island, Kidnapped and other classics. Sage words of advice.

Our expectation of how life should be treating us often doesn’t match up with the  reality of our circumstances. While it is true that we don’t get to choose where or to whom we are born; our ethnicity; or our socio/economic circumstances, we do have a choice as to how we view them and subsequently what we make of them. We can whine and complain and do nothing which will leave us stuck or we can decide to make our lives the best they can be in our particular circumstances.

That being said, the mind-shift is in our hands, hearts and heads. We can choose to see the proverbial half-full glass or the half empty one. We can choose to be envious of a person we think has had more opportunity, maybe a better education or a more comfortable lifestyle than us. This will undoubtedly make us dissatisfied and unhappy if we do nothing to control or analyse our discontent. The alternative is to look at our own situation with the firm intention of not succumbing to such negativity, but to assess how we can change our own circumstances for the better. It will be a process usually requiring a one-step-at-a-time strategy to reach the goal we define for ourselves.

It is our attitude that will make all the difference and that has nothing to do with our economic circumstances. There are many, many stories of poor or homeless people, neglected or abused children and adults who have overcome horrible circumstances and found ways to extract themselves and go to school, get a job, or improve their lot in some way - astonishing us with their tenacity and will to do so. More visible examples are all those people with disabilities who make interesting lives for themselves; amazing disabled athletes competing vigorously in a whole slew of sports and Special Olympics. It is so sad to me that the media will dwell on negative sensationalism while so many such wonderful successes are not illuminated as frequently.

Don’t waste time on envy or spite or trying to tear down the person you think has more than you, is more privileged or luckier than you. You don’t know their story - they may have started life quite differently than the one they now have. They may even have started out more disadvantaged than you think you are, Very few people are just “lucky” or seem to have it all without a hitch. They may have had many mis-steps or apparent failures along the way which you know nothing about. Things aren’t always what they seem. Instead of focusing on others look for the possibilities which might serve you. There is always potential for change no matter how small. Don’t waste time and energy on unproductive jealousy or self-pity. Those emotions will drain you and keep you bogged down in the situation which is making you unhappy. It may well be a struggle to envision change and deliver hardship in the short term, but if you have a clear vision and stickability you will get there.  

If you read me regularly you already know that one of the prevailing questions in my head for life’s many challenges, is “are you going to be a victim or a volunteer?” I want to be in control of my life as much as is humanly possible which means dealing with the situation I am currently in. Just like everyone else, life has dealt me blows as well as benefits and my life has wandered off the course I thought I planned. I questioned this and like others had to choose how I would react and re-adjust. I could fall and stay down or I could get up, shuffle the deck and decide to get back in the game. Our hands already hold the cards we need to win.>
.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Book of Poetry

JUST ME -  A BOOK OF POETRY Acknowledgement: I am who I am because of my children who changed me into a woman and fulfilled that most basic of needs; the many friends and strangers who touched me as they passed through my life and to the special influence  of those who still walk beside me even though they are no longer here - my Jewish grandmother for whom I was named and my brave and unassuming mother - who both unconsciously showed me how to be steadfast when chaos reigns; to the ghosts of ancestors, some famous, some notorious and all colourful; and to the unique times that shaped me. Because of them, I continue to enjoy the journey - all of it. 2014. Refugee. Sunlight pierces shadow mingles mellow in the garden, highlighting hibiscus - home for hummingbirds, only yards way from teeming traffic and feet pounding dreams into the debris on the street. Watching from that silent, inner space I wonder then whose plan it was to create such beauty from the compo

The Art and the Act of Writing & Reading

I love the act of writing whether putting pen to paper or fingers to keyboard. All of it  - whether I am creating poetry, essays, copy or ghost writing. And I love writing letters  as well as receiving them. I wish this had not gone out of  style or been replaced by the quick soundbite or messaging. I love the process. Writing for me is tactile. Poetry for instance must first be written with pen and notebook. There is something particular about physically connecting to the paper and it must be the right paper. I have many notebooks for this purpose and they are chosen very carefully for size and feel and sometimes for a message they might have imprinted on them. Similarly, the pens must also be special whether by colour, shape or a unique design. How they feel in my hand and how fluidly they write is very important to the process for me.  When I am writing it feels the same as if I were painting with a brush on a canvas. The page is my canvas and the paint translates my tho