Skip to main content

Read Between the Lines

Read Between The Lines.

"Read between the lines, then meet me in the silence if you can" (May Sarton)

www.LifeLineswritingservice.com

Letters, cards, paper things - remember them ? I’m happy to be called old-fashioned if it means that I care about some of the things, usages, habits that are falling into disuse in the rush to take advantage of the amazing technology now at our disposal. Don’t get me wrong, I happily use much of it - I’m using it now to write this and am glad to be able to google for quick information.

But - and it’s a big but for me, aren’t some of the ‘old-fashioned’ things worth hanging on to because they serve a unique purpose, an added dimension which touches something different and more human in us.

I was searching through some personal papers recently and unearthed my father’s hand-written, hen-scratched pages of our family tree. Almost as indecipherable as when I first received them perhaps because I no longer receive cards or letters in his easily recognizable, but hard to read writing so that now I am unfamiliar with cracking the code.

I also found the last letter he wrote me before his death. The pale blue standard airmail form with the small, tight handwriting making maximum use of the allotted space, instantly connecting me to him as if the postman had just popped it through the letterbox and it had plopped onto the mat; shrinking the miles between England and Canada as soon as my fingers touched it. The smell and familiar feel of the paper, the colour of the ink, the fact that a human hand had taken the time and given careful thought to the message seemed to make it so much more intimate. I could hear his voice, see it in the words and  envision him sitting at his desk or the table taking his time, making his time, for me. How important and eagerly anticipated were those missives then keeping me glued together far from home and family as I imagined him sealing the letter and walking it down to the village post office. And I spent many an hour writing ten page epistles back - somehow we found the time to make a space in our busy lives because the act of connecting mattered. Now we say we don’t have time - even with all the apparent time-saving technology at our disposal - to sit down for as long as it takes. We throw whole sentences into the waste paper basket, click an emoji or a gif and reduce life to a symbol.  

I still occasionally receive cards and postcards from all over the world - and love the anticipation of going to the post office, feeling a deep pleasure pulling out an envelope with its foreign stamp, its scuffs and creases silently telling me the story of it’s lengthy journey - then avariciously tearing it open as fast as I can to read.

I love my computer, can’t live without it, but anticipating a personal e.mail doesn’t cut it in any way shape or form. Cold and impersonal, no matter what the words are saying, the black letters marching across the screen like a column of ants are not going to elicit the same response from me. I want that tactile sense engaged, to see the flow of the ink. I want to experience the touch, feel, smell of the paper, a sensual awareness so that I can see and hear the author through the individual strokes of the pen, the unique whirls and flourishes which put that person right in front of me, warm and human and, for a moment, I can imagine they are sitting right next to me sharing and breathing in my space. 
___________________________________



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art and the Act of Writing & Reading

I love the act of writing whether putting pen to paper or fingers to keyboard. All of it  - whether I am creating poetry, essays, copy or ghost writing. And I love writing letters  as well as receiving them. I wish this had not gone out of  style or been replaced by the quick soundbite or messaging. I love the process. Writing for me is tactile. Poetry for instance must first be written with pen and notebook. There is something particular about physically connecting to the paper and it must be the right paper. I have many notebooks for this purpose and they are chosen very carefully for size and feel and sometimes for a message they might have imprinted on them. Similarly, the pens must also be special whether by colour, shape or a unique design. How they feel in my hand and how fluidly they write is very important to the process for me.  When I am writing it feels the same as if I were painting with a brush on a canvas. The page is my canvas and the paint translates my tho

A Book of Poetry

JUST ME -  A BOOK OF POETRY Acknowledgement: I am who I am because of my children who changed me into a woman and fulfilled that most basic of needs; the many friends and strangers who touched me as they passed through my life and to the special influence  of those who still walk beside me even though they are no longer here - my Jewish grandmother for whom I was named and my brave and unassuming mother - who both unconsciously showed me how to be steadfast when chaos reigns; to the ghosts of ancestors, some famous, some notorious and all colourful; and to the unique times that shaped me. Because of them, I continue to enjoy the journey - all of it. 2014. Refugee. Sunlight pierces shadow mingles mellow in the garden, highlighting hibiscus - home for hummingbirds, only yards way from teeming traffic and feet pounding dreams into the debris on the street. Watching from that silent, inner space I wonder then whose plan it was to create such beauty from the compo