Skip to main content

The Art and the Act of Writing & Reading

I love the act of writing whether putting pen to paper or fingers to keyboard. All of it  - whether I am creating poetry, essays, copy or ghost writing. And I love writing letters  as well as receiving them. I wish this had not gone out of  style or been replaced by the quick soundbite or messaging. I love the process.

Writing for me is tactile. Poetry for instance must first be written with pen and notebook. There is something particular about physically connecting to the paper and it must be the right paper. I have many notebooks for this purpose and they are chosen very carefully for size and feel and sometimes for a message they might have imprinted on them. Similarly, the pens must also be special whether by colour, shape or a unique design. How they feel in my hand and how fluidly they write is very important to the process for me. 

When I am writing it feels the same as if I were painting with a brush on a canvas. The page is my canvas and the paint translates my thoughts into words. 
I wonder sometimes if I have an alter ego conducting this orchestra of words working independently of me.

The poetry and the personal  essay writing come from a unique place which is completely separate from my conscious, rational mind. It’s a very still and quiet place, a dark pool into which I can fall freely and am allowed to swim like a water-baby unfettered by thought or will. I feel that I have been gifted with this special access to what feels like and seems to be an unearthly and spiritual space within me. It allows me to be better than I am. More than I am. It gives me the essence of “I Am”.

There is a similarity between the feel of writing and reading a book for me. True I occasionally read books on my iPad but a printed book evokes a completely different sensation. It brings me literally into contact with the actual words on the page. The feeling of holding the book in my hands and being able to touch and turn each page seems to make it more authentic bringing me closer to the author, as if I might be sitting next to him or her and having a conversation. It has an immediacy and an ease of access which heightens and intensifies my sense of enjoyment. 

Both writing and reading, for me, seem to be a complex sensory experience and both are ultimately pleasurable and frequently inspirational. To mangle a famous phrase by Samuel Pepys: “When one is tired of reading, one is tired of life”.
________________________________

January 2016.


Comments

  1. Lovely and delightful, a description of a true art form that someday I would love to emulate.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Have You Cleaned Your Windows Lately?

 A young couple moved into a new neighbourhood. The next morning while they were eating breakfast, the young woman saw a neighbour hanging the washing outside. “That laundry is not very clean; she doesn’t know how to wash correctly. Perhaps she needs better laundry soap”.   Her husband looked on remaining silent. Every time her neighbour hung her washing out to dry, the young woman made the same comments. A month later, the woman was surprised to see a nice clean wash on the line and said to her husband “look she’s finally learned how to wash correctly. I wonder who taught her this?” The husband replied, “I got up early this morning and cleaned our windows”. This amusing analogy reflects daily life. How often do we see things through our own narrow perspective and rush to judgement? What we see when watching others depends on the clarity of the window through which we look. We can see this in almost any ordinary situation. How frequently do eye-witness accounts of the sam...
 "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go". (Thomas Stearns Eliot) We all like to feel comfortable in our surroundings and in our relationships whether with family, friends or work associates. Feeling uncomfortable is ......well ..... uncomfortable and affects our enjoyment not only of the moment but often influences our behaviour. Most of us are not usually at our best when we are stressed or in situations we don't particularly like. We may react in a negative way by retreating into silence, or by being rude, hostile or antisocial in any number of ways which don't reflect our character or normal way of interacting.  And yet, the flip side of feeling discomfort is that it can be the very motivation we need to change and grow. When we are comfortable we don't always appreciate the positives in our lives, we take them for granted and become complacent. Whilst being settled and at peace, happy with our choices is some...
Empty Air Like time, like sand, like air in my hand your image falls away. Fingers open in a prayer but there is only empty air in my empty hand.